Today’s Postcard comes from Dr. Mayank Trivedi, University Librarian & Senate Member at Smt. Hansa Mehta Library, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara. Thank you Dr. Trivedi.
Shrimati Hansa Mehta Library, the University Library of The M S University of Baroda (present building) started functioning from 1957 is named after Smt. Hansaben Mehta, first Honourable Vice Chancellor of this University. The Library started with a collection of 25,000 books and is having a collection of 5,24,781 including bound journals as on date and is the only Library in the country using Library of Congress Classification scheme.
- It has a single largest Reading Room of 10,600 sq. ft. which can accommodate about 1100 readers at a time and is open to readers from 8.00 am to 10.00 pm i.e. 14 hours a day throughout the year except National holidays.
- It is a matter of pride that our University Library is identified as a Document Delivery service Centre with 21 other Universities in the country to provide Inter Library Loan service from Print journals subscribed in University Library System. Beginning from August 2008 to till date, we are the only university Library providing scanned article, thus saving the time of the user.
- Our University is ranked 31st in the country in usage of E-Resources with 2,31,446 downloads from 20,000 online journal titles accessed from the University Library and MSU campus for the year 2014.
- Out of 13 constituent Libraries under the University Library System, 9 Faculty Libraries offer Library operations using bar code technology thereby running successfully nine libraries on a single server.
- Database of more than 5 lacs records are available
- Having more than 30,000 plus active members
- 700 plus daily transaction of books
- Library subscribes 234 journals including online full text databases.
- 29000+ E-journals accessible through UGC Infonet Consortium
- 6000+ Open Access Journals
- Centrally air conditioned reading Room with a seating capacity of 1100+
- Institutional repository – 200+ Theses; 203 – Rare books
- Open Knowledge Gateway
Dr Mayank Trivedi, University Librarian believes that, “HML has a well-built print as well as e-resource collection, and we need to make sure it stays relevant, accessible, and affordable. By introducing new e-resources, the usage has increased along with its accessibility.
The introduction of e-resources available through UGC Infonet Consortium has brought about a tremendous change and increase in usage and research output. Addition of resources like Pro Quest Dissertation & Theses, Institutional Repository and Open Knowledge Gateway .
Institutional Repository http://18.104.22.168:8080/jspui/
An Institutional Repository is an online locus for collecting, preserving, and disseminating of the intellectual output of our University.
Enhancing the accessibility and visibility of the articles published by the faculty members and research scholar of the University. It’s a central archive of work of university, include 3500+ Theses; Conference papers & presentations – power point, audio, video; Metadata ; Book chapters ; Digitized material ; Research data.
Open Knowledge Gateway (OKG) http://22.214.171.124/okgwnew/index.aspx
Open Knowledge Gateway(OKG) Provides a platform to the researchers, Faculty and Students of MSU to access the free academic resources available on internet without geographical limitations. Team @ HML organized all these Resources/Links and put it together on the platform of OKG. So, take the optimum advantage of following resources and excel your research.
Audio/Video; Connexions; Creative-Commons; Curriki; Digital Libraries; E-Books; Educational Blog; Educational Resources
E-Journals in Arts; Computer Science; Education & Psychology; Family & Community Science; Geology; Journalism & Communication ; Law; Library & Information Science; Management Studies; Medicine; Performing Arts; Sanskrit; Science ; Social Work; Technology & Engg. ; Multidisciplinary Journals
E-Ref. Sources viz.; – Encyclopedias; Dictionaries & Thesauri; Directories; bibliographies; News paper & magazine ; Online Public Access; Yearbooks, Almanacs; Indexing and Abstracting ; Standards and Patents ; Current Information; Biographical Information ; Geographical Information ; Educational Information; Science Data Resources ;Statistical Information; Mathematical Tables, Formula ; Calculators/Converters ; Date and Time; Consumer Health ; Weather Bookstores / Publishers ; Indian Reference Sources ;
Important Reference Sites– Grants/Funding/Scholarships
India-Specific Search Engine ; E-book Collection ; E-Thesis (ETD) ; Gujarati Books ; Indian Resources ; Institutional Repositories ; Literature ; Manuscript In India ; Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) ; Research Platform; Subject Portal; Slide Share.
– Dr Trivedi