Today’s guest post comes to us from Zrinka Udiljak Bugarinovski, the Head of the Library and Documentation Centre for the Faculty of Economics and Business – Zagreb in Croatia. Thank you for sharing this beautiful renewed space with us!
The Library of the Faculty of Economics & Business – Zagreb was founded in 1920. Although, the serious approach to aquiring literature for the teachers and students was present from the very beginning of the existence serious, the first significant increase in funds was recorded in 1927. The school has received a certified copy of the Royal Patent of January 25 1927, referring to the fendowment of King Alexander and Queen Mary “for the construction of economy-and the supply of teaching aids and books.” In the same year were bought off some 500 foreign books from the legacy of Count Salm from Vienna. From these collections originated and most valuable books, the library holds today.
In 1954 within the Library Department was founded the Documentation Centre of the Faculty of Economics – Zagreb (first such centre for the field of economics int he country) in order to develop informative function trough the content-related analysis of the library material and the transfer of information. The aim has been set upon assistance of the teaching activity by conveying information on reference sources related to scientific work of the teachers, candidates for master’s and doctor’s degree, as well as support to students for the expanding knowledge in economics and related disciplines.
Since 1979 the library operates as the united Central Library as specialized scientific-educational library for the economics and related disciplines. In 2006 it changed its name to the Library & Documentation Centre.
The Library & Documentation Centre is in direct function of realization of educational and scientific-research activities of the Faculty, to which is adapted procurement, processing and circulation of library collection intended for user potential of more than 12 000 users. The Library has the central place of the Faculty in the information, culture, communication and the social aspect.
The Library is equipped with RFID technology, the self-service device and security device for the protection against devastation of materials. Recently, it is also equipped with computer equipment for the blind and purblind users.
The Library premises cover 1953 m2, encompassing a single-space reading room, the gallery furnished with the working tables with installed computers, space for text-books and reference collection, computerized study-room for teamwork, Rara (rare & precious books vault), „scientists room“, four closed and one free-access storages, and separate multimedia storage-room.
It should be noticed that the Library moved in the present day premises at the time of the Universiade of 1987, and just before the Universiade of 2016 was reconstructed according to the conceptual design of the architects Andrea Ilijanić and Dragan Milenković. By minimal spatial interventions, increase of the central staircase, and the redesign of the entrance area, as well as by using new colors and shades of furniture, is created a new framework – the space for living and working for students. Also, by partially construction of the new installations it became the more contemporary approach to the use of the reading space and library holdings.
“The New Outfit” of the Library is enriched with graffiti of the academic painter Slaven Lunar Kosanovic, and by that, this library centre has become unique in Croatia. Graffiti on the central wall of the library displays 29 cats that represent years of the Saturn rotation arround the Sun, for which the author found inspiration in the work of Gustav Holst. Distinctiveness of the graffiti is not only in its location – a library – but also in the used technique. The graffiti was painted in acrylic technique, which author otherwise often use in paintings with the prevailing pastel tones of blue and shades of brown. It also contains, for the author particularly important, two elements of classical graffiti: arrows and balloons.
The Library was officially opened on December 1, 2015, at the occasion of 95th anniversary and the Day of Faculty celebration.